Thursday, January 23, 2014

Magic

A girls' apartment is magical. Literally. I have never believed until now that a thing called magic existed. 


I'll give you an example:
I don't know if it's a ghost or some mysterious greater power, but it's there, in my apartment.

For dinner I decided to eat cinnamon roll flavored oatmeal for dinner (I am a cheap and lazy college student, don't judge). I know how much girls don't appreciate dishes lying around the house, so after I finished eating I picked up my dish from the table and filled it up with water in the sink, and waited to let the oatmeal particles loosen so it would be easier to wash. I used the bathroom and less than 5 minutes later-the oatmeal bowl in the sink had disappeared. I kid you not.

And this happens all the time. Just walking into the kitchen, one minute there is a dish, the next-it's gone. Crazy.

Guys don't care about cleaning. Dishes piled up sky high because we were always busy doing work or more important things. That's when the flies started coming. The amount of fruit flies that lived in our apartment was stupidly high. And they wouldn't just stay in the kitchen-a ton migrated to my bathroom like I was keeping a stockpile of bananas back there. So Alec (who was nominated best roommate 5 months in a row and counting) got some fruit fly tape. I am more of a natural girl and prefer to use home remedies, so I found this great recipe for trapping those pesky critters: all you need is apple cider vinegar and dish soap (breaks the surface tension of the vinegar) and a container (I used both a cup and a plate, but the plate work wayyyy better). 

It goes like this:
Pour about a cup of vinegar into your container of choice.
Add a couple of drops of dish soap (I do 3-5)
And wha-la! In the next 24 hours, all the fruit flies will flock to this concoction. 

I would leave it there for closer to 48 hours or 72 just to make sure I got all the suckers. The only downside is that the room that you put this in reeks of vinegar. I put mine in the shower and didn't take a shower for a day or two, but that is the price I will pay for a bug-free apartment. I'll just put a ton of body lotion and spray, so people would assume I live in Bath and Body Works.

As a girl in an all-guys man cave, it was my dutiful job as a woman to do the dishes in their eyes. (And the boys did the trash and recyclables.) Surprisingly, even though I embody many feminist and liberal ideas of women equality/power, I didn't mind doing the dishes as much as I thought. It's not hard putting a dish into a dishwasher. Nothing was washed by hand. Simple. And surprisingly calming. Even dishes I'm pretty sure were supposed to be hand-washed, nope, they went straight into the mouth of the cleaning machine.

What I don't understand is that girls like to hand-wash everything. Apparently it's "therapeutic". I did not get the memo. This lazy butt is putting spoons and cups in the dishwasher. Why wash something when a magical machine does the work and make it effortless for you?

But all in all, this girl prefers the magic to the flies any day.

-with luv,
Katrina

No comments:

Post a Comment